The Minister of Health is a member of the Somaliland Cabinet and is charged by the President of Somaliland with the governmental portfolio for Health. This entails being tasked with the provision of safe health care to all persons in Somaliland with special attention to the poor, disadvantaged and vulnerable groups including women, children and the disabled.
The Minister leads the Ministry to undertake a stewardship role to delivery of health services throughout the country covering both public and private health services through:
- Development of National Health Policy which guides the health service delivery approach of implementation of the Essential Package of Health Services
- Ensures that Operational/Technical Policies are developed for all relevant areas of health services e.g. Human Resources Development, Reproductive Health, Communicable disease Control etc.
- Ensures that these policies are included in the National Health Policy and are widely disseminated to Cabinet, House of Representatives, House of Elders, central MOH, Regional and District Health Offices, CSC, Donor Agencies and Partners.
- Uses National Health Policy to guide donors and partners in ensuring their proposed interventions are compatible and support the MOH Policies and strategies.
- Ensures regular review, revision and updating of National Health Policies and Operational/Technical Policies to reflect changes as the Health Services Development progresses and new approaches are required. e.g. as a communicable disease is eradicated the approach changes to surveillance.
- Defining the Organizational Structure of the Ministry of Health at Central, Regional and District level which effectively supports the implementation of the defined national health policies and strategies
- Ensures the health policy full implementation by all health sector stakeholders (national and international);
To provide equitable, efficient, and affordable quality essential priority health services as close to the communities and families as possible based on the EPHS and primary health care approach.
Improve the health status of the population through health system strengthening interventions and provide quality, accessible, acceptable, and affordable health services that facilitate moving towards universal health coverage (UHC) and accelerate progress towards achieving the health-related SDGs.
- Health policy
- Health regulation
- National referral Health facilities
- Capacity building and
- Partnership and collaboration